Search

20 Feb 2026

Life is 100% LOCAL with Cork Live

‘No point’ in giving SNA review date completion, Moynihan says

‘No point’ in giving SNA review date completion, Moynihan says

There is “no point” in announcing a target completion for a review of special needs assistant (SNA) allocations, a minister with responsibility has said.

Minister of State for Special Education Michael Moynihan repeatedly refused on Friday to say when an ongoing SNA review would be finished, amid schools’ concerns that their allocation could be cut in September.

Mr Moynihan also refused to say if he expected any schools to lose SNAs.

The Department of Education “paused” a review of allocations after a public backlash and outcry from opposition TDs, teachers, parents and trade unions.

It came after the National Council for Special Education issued letters to several schools advising them that they could lose part of their SNA allocation.

Mr Moynihan said the communication was “wrong” and there was a need “for a far better system”.

He said the Department said it would engage intensively with schools individually.

Mr Moynihan said: “We cannot proceed with this because the (school) system does not have confidence in it.”

Asked if any school would lose an SNA in September, Mr Moynihan said: “The process is now paused.”

He said the Department would ensure there is “no cliff edge”.

We told RTE’s Morning Ireland: “There will be no decisions made, the entire process is paused which means whatever communication there was heretofore, there will be new communication.”

Pressed on whether that means the notified schools would not lose SNAs, Mr Moynihan reiterated that the process had been paused.

After initially stating that the process would be done in “a number of weeks” and “as soon as possible”, Mr Moynihan declined to give a specific date.

“There’s no point coming out and saying to you it will be done in a number of days, a number of weeks – it will be done properly.”

The minister repeatedly refused to say if any schools would lose SNAs or how many positions would be redeployed.

He said: “Let me be very clear, right? We have paused the entire process so therefore until that process is completely reviewed we will not be scaremongering, we will engage meticulously with all school communities and families that have contacted us.”

However, he said schools who had been told they would get an additional allocation would still receive that support.

“We’re increasing the number of SNAs.”

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.